skip to main content

Medications at School

Medications (Reference Board Policy 5141.21) - The school health office supervises students who are required to take medication during the school day.  A written authorization from the student’s physician and parent or guardian is required before designated school staff can assist the student in taking medication, including medications prescribed by the physician and over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol, Motrin, cough drops, and ointments.  These medication forms are available in the school office and the RUSD Health Services Webpage.
Any medications that will be stored in the Health Office must be signed in by a parent/guardian and staff member.  The Health Aide/staff member will verify the medication against the physician’s orders, noting the medication’s expiration date, quantity, and form (liquid, pills, inhaler, nasal spray, eye drops, etc.)
All medication must be in the original container and placed under lock and key in the health office in the administration building for the safety of all students, except those medications that a physician requests the pupil be allowed to carry (e.g., inhalant for asthma, Auto-injector Epi-Pen for severe allergies).  Doctor’s orders are required to be kept on file at the school for student carrying authorized medication.  When on a field trip, the medications shall be monitored by and in possession of a teacher at all times.


With written permission from both the student's physician and the parent or guardian medications can be administered by:
  • a parent/guardian or their designee (this can not be a school employee)
  • the student
  • the student with assistance from a trained school employee
  • licensed school employees
Print out the appropriate form below to take to your physician
Allergy Medications  click here
Asthma Action Plan  click here
Diabetes  click here     Additional supplies that are needed at school click here
Epinephrine-Auto Injector  click here
Headache Action Plan click here
Medications (all other) click here
Seizure Action Plan  click here
It is not required that the medical provider use RUSD templates however it is required that the parent/guardian sign an RUSD Authorized Consent for Medical Services at school form that references the document provided by their medical team.
RUSD Authorized Consent for Medical Services at School click here
For information on how to submit these forms for signature without an appointment please click here
Administration by a parent or guardian
If a parent/guardian chooses, he/she may administer the medication to his/her child at school or by written request he/she may designate another individual who is not a school employee to do so on his/her behalf.

Administration by the student

Upon written request by the parent/guardian and with the approval of the student's physician, a student with a medical condition that requires frequent treatment, monitoring, or testing may be allowed to self-administer, self-monitor, and/or self-test. The student shall observe universal precautions in the handling of blood and other bodily fluids.

Administration of Medication by School Personnel

Unlicensed Personnel
Unlicensed personnel, such as health aides, instructional aides, front office staff, and teachers, may assist students with medications.  This is done by properly storing the medications at school, and ensuring the five rights of medication administration (right student, right medication, right time, right dose, right route and that the medication is not expired). They may hand the medication to the student to administer to themselves and correct the the student if they are handling the medication incorrectly. 
Unlicensed designated school personnel are authorized by law to administer epinephrine auto-injectors, glucagon, and FDA approved breakthrough seizure medication. If they are:
  • trained according to the law by a school nurse, or physician
  • supervised by a school nurse, or physician 
  • provided emergency communication access to a school nurse or physician
Licensed Personnel
Prescribed medication may be administered by the school nurse or other designated school personnel* only when the school has received written permission from both the student's physician and the parent or guardian. (Education Code 49423; 5 CCR 600)

*Designated school personnel - Other school employees with an appropriate medical license, such as an Licensed Vocational Nurse(LVN), may administer medication to a student.
As each of our licensed personnel are assigned to cover multiple campuses, this service is reserved for students requiring injections and special accommodations.