Rocklin Unified School District

I have a problem - Who do I contact?

I have a problem - Who do I contact?title

Contact your student's special education teacher, site principal, or assistant principal. If you are not able to work out the issue, the district program specialists will be able to assist you.

You are also welcome to contact our Director of Special Education and Special Programs, Tammy Forrest, Ph.D., at (916) 630-2232.

What is a Student Study Team (SST)?

What is a Student Study Team (SST)?title

Q: My child is struggling in reading. I am concerned that my child is not up to standard. I have been asked to attend a Student Study Team Meeting. What is this meeting and what will happen during the meeting to assist my child?

A: A referral to a Student Study Team brings together the parent(s), teacher, administrator/counselor, and other professionals at school, to look at the student as a unique individual. The Student Study Team may address learning needs, social concerns, health issues, or other factors that affect the student's success at school. The meeting will address the student's strengths, known information, concern areas, identify appropriate actions that the school or family will take, outline needed accommodations/modifications, and who is responsible for each of these items. A follow-up Student Study Team may be scheduled to address student's progress and need for further supports.

How do I refer a school-age child?

How do I refer a school-age child?title

My child is not doing well in school. How do I refer for special education?

You, or the teacher, may refer your child to the school's Student Study Team, to consider the request for an assessment for special education eligibility. Part of the responsibility of the SST (Student Study Team) is to document the modifications and interventions that have been attempted in the general education setting, and to suggest other steps that may be taken to meet the student;s needs in the regular education program. The SST (composed of the parent, teacher, principal, counselor or other staff who has an interest in the child) will consider your request, and, if appropriate, develop an assessment plan to identify the child's needs.

Sometimes parents submit to the principal or other administrator a written request for special education assessment. The school is required to consider this request within 15 days and either develop an assessment plan for parent approval, or to respond if the request is not appropriate. In our district, we schedule a SST meeting to consider the request in order to meet the legal requirement that general education supports be utilized as appropriate, before special education is considered.

How is eligibility for special education determined?

How is eligibility for special education determined?title

The school IEP (Individual Education Plan) team makes this determination, based on assessment information. The IEP team determines if the student has one of the fourteen disabilities specified by federal and state law, and requires special education services and support. The IEP team weighs the question: Can this student's needs be addressed through regular education or are specialized support and services required? To answer this question, the team draws on information provided by the parents, school history, specific assessments and the student's response to regular education supports. If the IEP team finds that the student is eligible, the team specified the goals, services, instructional modifications and accommodations in the IEP document.

Who do I contact regarding transportation?

Who do I contact regarding transportation?title

If a student requires specialized transportation due to his/her disability, it should be documented on the student's IEP and a Transportation Request and Information Form will be completed by the IEP team.  The teacher or Program Specialist will notify the district office if transportation is a required; related service" as decided upon by the IEP team.  Please note that not all students receiving specialized transportation are transported curb-to-curb.
Once a transportation request has been sent to the transportation department, the transportation department will call the parent with the bus stop location, pick-up time, and drop-off time. Please allow up to 5 days for new transportation requests.

Each year, prior to the start of school, it is the parent's responsibility to fill out a new transportation form for any special needs a student may have. Parents are also required to contact the transportation department (624-9106) and provide a small picture of their student for the bus pass. Bus passes MUST be renewed on an annual basis.

We're moving to RUSD - who should we contact?

We're moving to RUSD - who should we contact?title

Q: My child has a current Individual Education Plan (IEP). We are moving to Rocklin Unified School District. Who should we contact?

A: If your child has an active IEP, please contact the Special Education Department at 630-2232. If parents have copies of the current IEP, and any recent assessments, these can be faxed to the district office at (916) 630-2247. Once you have moved to Rocklin, you will be directed to complete a registration packet and return it along with a copy of the IEP and assessments to your child's home school.  If the home school does not offer the services your child needs, a program specialist will determine placement and contact you to discuss the specifics.

Transition from elementary to middle school?

Transition from elementary to middle school?title

Q: My child is a 6th grade student going to middle school next year. What will happen? Will my student still get the same IEP services?

A: In the spring, prior to your student moving to middle school, an Individual Educational Program meeting will be arranged by your student's case carrier to address transition. During this meeting, student's current level of performance and goals and objectives will be reviewed to identify appropriate services for when your student goes to middle school. A representative from middle school will be in attendance to assist the Individual Education Program Team and to answer questions. Typically, students attend their home middle school if supports and services are available at that school site.

What is Extended School Year?

What is Extended School Year?title

Q: Does Rocklin Unified School District offer extended school year for students with active IEPs (Individual Education Plans)?

A. Rocklin Unified offers extended school year if the IEP team determines that, due to the student's disability and needs, regression in performance will occur which will require substantial time to recover the next school year. This is an IEP team decision, based on the individual needs of each student.

Extended school year services are offered during the 19-day summer school session.