School Bus Safety
- Arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes prior to scheduled stop time.
- Go directly to the bus stop and directly home at the end of your bus ride
- Plan and use the safest route with the fewest streets to cross getting to and from your bus stop
- Never run to a bus, always walk and remain at least 12 feet away on your approach until the driver identifies you, stops, and open the doors to the bus
- Stand at least 12 feet away from your school bus when it stops to load passengers
- The bus driver may not see you if you are standing closer than 12 feet to the bus. Stay out of the danger zone!
- Wait until the bus stops and the door opens before approaching the bus.
- Be careful that clothing with drawstrings and book bags with straps or dangling objects do not get caught in the handrail or door when exiting the bus
- The Danger zone is 12 feet all around the bus. If you can't see the driver, the driver can't see you. Stay back until the bus stops.
- Students shall inform the driver when needing to cross the street in which the school bus is traveling.
See below for videos you may want to share with your students.