Service learning is a teaching strategy that combines meaningful service with curriculum-based or program-based learning. Students learn and develop through active participation in thoughtfully organized service to the community.
Why service learning?
- Service learning provides opportunities for students to apply skills and concepts learned in class as they improve their community.
- Service learning helps students see that they are part of the community, and builds a sense of responsibility to the community.
- Service learning shows students that skills and concepts learned in the classroom have real world applications.
benefits of service learning:
1. Improved academic achievement
2. Increased student engagement
3. Improved social behavior
4. Improved character
5. Stronger ties to communities and society
6. Exposure to new careers
7. Improved thinking skills
8. Positive school environments
9. Stronger community groups
10. Increased community support for schools